We’ve been fortunate to work with some great partners over the years and have learnt quite a bit about what helps to deliver a good outcome. The working relationship between designers and the communications team is a key part to the success of any design project. To help you build a successful relationship we’ve put together some of our top tips.
- Get the design team in early. By engaging the design team early in the process it helps give context and plan the best approach for a smooth and successful project.
- Good brief. When thinking about the brief, more information is better than less. Include the who, what, when, where and why.
- Good communication. Ensure good communication channels are in place within the project team.
- Time is key. Understanding deadlines, milestone dates and allowing time for proofing.
- Clear written instructions. Errors are more likely to occur when relying on phone instructions or trying to decipher hand-written • notes. Use PDF notes where possible.
Comms Team Tips…
- Think about what you want to communicate, your audience and how that should be reflected in design. For example: modern, industrial, aspirational, conservative, etc.
- Share your broader campaign objective as this sets the context for successful design.
- Share anything you really hate and communicate it early. E.g. colours, fonts or imagery.
- But don’t set boundaries. Good designers are smart creative people…give them space so they can surprise you.
- Save yourself some time and money by coordinating changes and draft controls.
Creative Team Tips…
Production Team Tips…
Contact email@example.com for me details on how we can support your comms team.